Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Days 46-48 - Granada, Managua and San Juan del Sur.

Sarita left New Year´s Day in the morning which was sad because we had had a great time altogether for the past week. Josh and I then headed to Granada where I had not been for more than a few hours since my first week in Nicaragua. We found ourselves at Hospedaje Dorado having had no luck at our first choice, The Bearded Monkey. It was a quaint place, but the room felt a bit stale. Quickly, we decided to seek out a different option for Josh´s last night.

Having decided on one of the nicer spots right on el Parque Central, we walked down Calle Calzada, a cobblestone street filled with restaurants and had lunch before scouting out the lake at the edge of town. We walked around for a bit of time and checked in with my previous school who allowed for me to keep my cell phone for the remainder of my trip.

Later on in the evening following a rest, we went back to Calzada to a cafe for dinner. We were so excited about the menu until we were told by the waiter that they only had one item on the menu...churrasco (steak with chimichurri sauce). Good thing we both liked it! Afterward, we had a drink or two at the Bearded Monkey and met some others backpacking around Central America.

The next morning, we were thrilled to be checking out as we both felt a bit sick from the stale air in our room. We left our bags at the new hotel and headed to the artisan market in Masaya. It was interesting for Josh to see and he was able to pick up some gift items. Midway through the market, I began to feel ill so we went back to Granada. The rest of the day, I slept although I felt badly because it was Josh´s last day in Nicaragua. We had dinner that night, although I was still feeling unwell. He went out and had a fantastic night which I am happy about though.

In the morning on Saturday the 3rd, I felt a bit better. A friend of mine from San Juan was in Granada to pick up some clients headed back to San Juan, so we met up briefly and it was great to see him. Josh and I then finished packing up our things, grabbed breakfast and headed to the airport. I was sad to see Josh leave, but it was bittersweet because we had a great time traveling together...also, Nicole and Kelsi were due in a few hours later and I was anxiously awaiting their arrival.

Their flight arrived pretty much on time, although customs was a slow process. We were all extremely excited and quickly got in a cab who´d agreed to take us to San Juan earlier in the day. The only trouble was that I´d negotiated with two cab drivers, one of which was a gypsy cab. We´d decided to go with the official, more secure cab and of course the gypsy cab driver was very upset. He threatened to report the other driver and wanted us to pay him for waiting. We quickly reported him to the police and drove away. We arrived to San Juan shortly after and checked into our hotel. The Royal Chateau was pretty standard, but what we needed when we got there. It was nice to be back in San Juan and with the girls.

No comments: